Top NewsSurvivor of Baltimore's Key Bridge collapse gives first-hand account

Survivor of Baltimore’s Key Bridge collapse gives first-hand account

-

Julio Cervantes Suarez was sitting in his truck with six construction workers in their own vehicles in the early morning hours of March 26 when he took a break from repairing potholes on Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge.

The 985-foot container ship Daly collided with one of the piers of the bridge. The 37-year-old looked at his colleagues Disappears into the Patapsco River below.

Cervantes Suarez, after his own vehicle was submerged in water He said he was unable to open any of the doors and had to manually roll down the windows to escape. He said He scaled a concrete slab from the rubble and waited for rescuers.

One of the two survivors was Cervantes Suarez. He narrated the tragic incident In his first interview with NBC News. The show aired on Wednesday.

In the interview, Cervantes Suarez recalled looking for other workers.

“I started calling everyone by name,” he said in Spanish. “But nobody answered me.”

His son-in-law Carlos Daniel Hernandez, whom he considered a son, was the first to fall.

Cervantes Suarez told NBC He didn’t think so He will survive the fall.

“I thanked God [the] The family he gave me,” she said. “I asked him to take care of my wife and children and apologized for everything I had done.

Cervantes Suarez, who told NBC He said that he was still in physical pain and that he was really haunting him He told Hernandez to go to his car and rest.

“If I had asked him to come with me, it would have been different. Maybe he will be with us,” Cervantes told the Suárez network.

See also  Komsomolsk-on-Amur: Kim Jong Un visits fighter jet factory in Russia as Putin accepts invitation to North Korea

Federal investigators are still looking into the cause of the crash, which halted most trade at Baltimore Harbor and raised questions about whether federal and state officials are prepared to prevent similar disruptions. The FBI is conducting a separate, ongoing criminal investigation into whether Daly’s team was aware of serious system problems before they began.

Cervantes Suarez said he wants all responsible parties, including the family of his brother-in-law Hernández Fuentes, to pay “for the damage they have done.” But, he told NBC, nothing can bring back what his family and others lost overnight.

“Because I know money isn’t going to buy a hug from a father or a son,” he said.

Latest news

British Open final round live updates, leaderboard: Billy Horschel leads crowded field in hunt for first major at Royal Troon

Billy Horschel is as close as he's ever been to a major championship.Horschel survived a bad weather round on...

Chicago mail carrier Octavia Redmond killed on her route in broad daylight: ‘disintegrated’

CHICAGO - A mail carrier walking a route in Chicago has been shot and killed, authorities said. U.S. Postal Service...

35-year-old Brazilian singer electrocuted in freak concert accident

Network light Brazilian rock singer Aires Sasaki was electrocuted last week during a live performance in Brazil The musician died...

Listeria outbreak linked to deli meat: Here are the affected states

At least two people have died in the U.S. in connection with a listeria outbreak linked to sliced ​​meat...

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s daughter Shiloh confirmed her desire to change her name in a newspaper announcement

Jolie-Pitt filed papers on May 30 to legally remove "Pitt" from her name.viaJuly 19, 2024, 9:05 PM ET• I...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you