The Cape Breton Regional Municipality says holiday spirit will fill the streets throughout the CBRM, with 12 parades and other related events getting underway beginning Saturday.
The CBRM encourages residents to come together and celebrate the joy and caring that the season brings.
This year, parades will be held in the daytime in six communities throughout the CBRM including Sydney, New Waterford, Glace Bay, North Sydney, Reserve Mines and Dominion. Everything will kick off with the Sydney Santa Claus Parade on Nov. 23 at noon. Registration is now open for this parade at www.sydneysantaclausparade.ca and will be limited to 60 entries. All entries are required to attend a meeting on Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. at Centre 200 (use back entrance).
Other parades will be held as follows:
- Nov. 24, New Waterford, beginning at 2 p.m. Contact Jennifer Heffernan, 902 565-0751
- Nov. 30, Glace Bay, beginning at 2 p.m. Contact John Chant, 902 849-9758
- Dec. 1, North Sydney, beginning at 3 p.m. Contact Lloyd MacIntosh, 902 574-1709
- Dec. 7, Reserve Mines, beginning at 1 p.m. Contact Reserve Mines Fire Department, 902 849-4309
- Dec. 8, Dominion, beginning at 1 p.m. Contact David MacLeod, 902 371-8028
Attendees and residents are reminded to follow safety rules while attending these community events including:
- Do not stand or sit in the street during a parade.
- Do not park along the parade route.
- Do not attempt to cross the street in front of, or between, parade entries at any time
As well, there will be festivals and events in eight areas of the CBRM this holiday season, starting with the Downtown Sydney Nutcracker Festival on Saturday. This annual event includes the downtown tree light up on Charlotte Street from 2-6 p.m. For more information visit www.downtownsydney.ca.
Other upcoming holiday events include:
- Nov. 17, Air Santa at branch 78 of the Royal Canadian Legion, Dominion, beginning at 2 p.m. Contact Mickey MacNeil, 902-574-4321
- Nov. 18, Glace Bay Christmas Light Up, Commercial St, Glace Bay beginning at 5:30 p.m. Contact Jess MacNeil, 902-549-1462
- Nov. 29, Louisbourg Christmas Village Square and Light Up at Louisbourg Fire Hall beginning at 6 p.m. Contact Darlene Leahy, 902-733-3608 (registration) or Rose Steylen firstname.lastname@example.org (all other info).
- Dec. 1, North Sydney Christmas Light Up at the North Sydney Fire Department following the Santa Claus Parade. Contact Lloyd MacIntosh, 902-574-1709.
- Dec. 6, Dominion Christmas Light Up at the Miners Memorial Park, Dominion beginning at 6 p.m. Contact David MacLeod, 902-371-8028
- Dec. 7, Marion Bridge Tree Light Up at St. Columbia Church, Marion Bridge, beginning at 6 p.m.
- Dec. 8, New Waterford Tree Light Up at Davis Square Park, New Waterford, at 5 p.m. Contact Dale Cadden, 902-577-9582