During the month of October, which is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month, players will be sporting customized pink jerseys and socks during games at the Mariners Centre. Throughout the month the jerseys will be up for auction, with the money raised at the end being donated to the Dr. Edwin Janke Cancer Centre at the Yarmouth Regional Hospital. Last year the team donated $7,338.
“The jerseys look really sharp, we were excited about unveiling them,” says head coach Laurie Barron.
The jerseys were first worn during the Mariners’ Oct. 6, 5-2 victory over the St. Stephen Aces, and worn again Oct. 7 when the Mariners defeated Truro 4-1.
“Keith Condon and the ownership does a good job of getting everybody involved in Pink in the Rink and the nice thing is it supports the local cancer unit,” says Barron. “It’s sad to say but there’s probably no one who hasn’t been touched by that terrible word: cancer. It also hits home to not only our players, but our fans.”
People can text in their bids to the telephone number 902-740-5343. In the text include the amount of the bid, the jersey number, your name and telephone number. An ongoing tally of the bids will appear on the Mariners Pink in the Rink Facebook page throughout October. You can continue to bid throughout the month. If a bidder wishes to remain anonymous on the tally sheet, they can indicate this when they text in their bid information.
The Mariners are hoping for another successful fundraiser.
“We’re hoping to at least match, if not better, what we did last year,” Barron says.
This weekend the Mariners host the Valley Wildcats on Friday night and the Woodstock Slammers on Saturday.
Their other home game of the month is Oct. 20 when they host the Amherst Ramblers.
Weekend game results
Oct. 6: Yarmouth 5 – St. Stephen 2
• 1st period scoring: 19:59 Mariners: Logan Timmons (Campbell Balk) Clock showed 0.2 seconds remaining.
• 2nd period scoring: 4:04 Aces: Branden Dauphinee (PP Evan White, Jack Grant); 11:35 Aces: Mitchell Arseneau (Short handed)
• 3rd period scoring: 7:04 Mariners: Kyle Bergh (Andrew Martell); 12:09 Mariners: Noah McMullin (PP, Matt Barron); 16:29 Mariners: McMullin (Matt Smith); 17:09 Mariners: Timmons (Balk)
• In net: Leif Hertz stopped 21 of 23 shots. The Mariners had 38 shots on net.
Oct. 7: Yarmouth 4 – Truro 1
• 1st period scoring: 5:58 Mariners: Laramie Kostelansky (Kaleb Boudreau, Fraser McMann); 18:10 Mariners: Brent Broaders (Matt Barron)
• 2nd period scoring: 1:47 Mariners: Matt Barron (Short handed, Christopher Goreham, Luc Poirier)
• 3rd period scoring: 1:44 Truro: Riley Baggs (PP, unassisted); 19:19 Mariners: Matt Smith (Empty net, unassisted).
• In net: Leif Hertz stopped 30 of 31 Truro shots. The Mariners had 35 shots on net.
You can see the MHL league standings by clicking here.