First female Saddle Sore driver for Digby's Wharf Rat Rally

Jonathan Riley, Digby Courier
Published on August 29, 2014

CLARIFICATION added Saturday, Aug. 30, 11:55 p.m.

Jackie Goreham is the first and only woman to ever drive a Wharf Rat Rally Saddle Ride of 2,000 km in 24 hours.

Goreham left Digby at 7:40 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 28 and arrived back in Digby Friday at 7:20 a.m. with her odometer showing a total of 2,152 km.

Her trip took her from Digby to Antigonish to Hartford N.B. and back to Antigonish and then back to Digby.

How was it?

“Cold and wet,” she said in the Coastal Inn parking lot astride her 2007 Harley Sportser, her face red from the wind and her hands black from her wet leather gloves.

“It was fun,” she said. “I drive a shuttle for a living so if I can sit in a van all day, I can sit on this (tapping her bike). I love this.”

Goreham, from Yarmouth, was alone on the trip and recommends a heated vest and music.

“You got to have music,” she said.

She kept hand-scrawled maps, oranges and nuts in her tank bag.

And tooth paste.

“A squirt of that and squish it around and you’re good for another half hour or so,” she said.

Goreham has been planning the trip for a year and had to make some modifications to her bike, most importantly she added a larger gas tank.

To qualify, Goreham needed to make five designated stops along the route.

The first stop was at the Coastal Inn in Antigonish where she picked up a signed business card to prove she was there.

Then on to the Irving in Bouctouche N.B., where she got a receipt for $11.05 for gas at 3:48 p.m.

Next stop was the Gateway Esso in Oromocto where she got $3.70 in gas at 6:25 p.m.

She reached the turn around point at the Petro Can in Hartford, N.B. at 8:09 p.m. and bought $13.88 in gas.

She stopped at the Coastal Inn in Sackville, N.B.  at 12:03 a.m.

She also showed an extra receipt from the Millbrook Treaty Gas station at 4:39 a.m. where she bought another $6.79 in gas.

Meanwhile, Earl Deveau, the only other person to leave on a Wharf Rat Rally Iron Butt ride this year, is still on the road.

Deveau is attempting the 2,500 km version – he did the 2,000 km trip in 2012 and attempted the 2,500 last year but was slowed by torrential rain.

Deveau arrived at 10 a.m. - see his story here.

* Heather Devine was a passenger while her husband drove a 1,600 km/ 24 hr Saddle Sore at the Wharf Rat Rally in 2011.