Chimney fire extinguished on Queen Street

Keith Maryanovich
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Public warned to avoid burning Christmas wrap this holiday season

Digby Volunteer Fire Department responded to a chimney fire at 82 Queen Street on Monday, Dec. 10.

The Digby Fire Department put out a chimney fire caused by burning paper this week.

No one was hurt and nothing damaged but deputy chief Justin Wood says it’s a timely reminder for folks just before Christmas.

“It’s not a good idea to burn your wrapping paper in the fireplace,” said Wood. “A lot of chimney fires get started that way. Oh and anyone reading your article should get up and check their smoke detectors. Merry Christmas.”

Dispatch called Digby Fire to a Queen Street residence near 2:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 10.

Burning paper had floated up the chimney and gotten stuck part way. More papers floated up behind, got stuck and soon smoke was filling up the house.

Firefighters sprayed a dry chemical extinguisher into the fireplace inside the house to stop the fire. The draft pulled the dry chemical up to extinguish the fire.

Wood would like to wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas on behalf of all the volunteer departments in the area.

Christmas safety tips from Canada Safety Council

The Christmas tree

Get a freshly cut tree. It will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard. Try to pick a tree with a strong green colour and noticeable fragrance.

Very few needles should fall when the butt of the tree is tapped on the ground; needles should bend, not break; and the stump should be sticky with resin.

Place the tree in a stand that will hold 2 to 3 litres of water and top it up daily. Make sure it is always immersed in water: If water drops below the trunk, the stem may reseal itself, requiring a fresh cut. Use a tree stand that has widespread legs for better balance.

Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. It should not block doors or windows.

Never use lighted candles on the tree.

Remove the tree within 10 to 14 days.  After that amount of time in a heated building, even the freshest tree can start to dry out.


Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified light strings/sets.

Use the proper lights for the environment. Indoor light strings/sets should not be used outdoors because they lack weatherproof connections. Some outdoor light strings/sets burn too hot indoors.

Inspect light strings/set before use. Check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires, and discard if faulty.

Do not use electric light strings/sets on metallic trees. A faulty system could energize the tree and shock or electrocute anyone coming into contact. Illuminate metallic trees with coloured floodlights placed at a safe distance from the tree and out of reach.

Turn off all tree and display lights before retiring for the night or before leaving the house.


Place candles away from absolutely anything that could catch fire.

Never leave burning candles unattended.

Burn them only when a responsible adult is overseeing the flame. Put candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from drafts, curtains, children and pets.

Snuff them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.

The Fireplace

Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packing in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate far too much heat.

Don't hang Christmas stockings from the mantel when the fireplace is in use.

Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.

Never use gasoline or any other flammable liquids to start a fire.

Use only seasoned and dried wood.

Never leave the fire unattended or let it smoulder.

Clean the ashes regularly. Place the ashes in a metal container and store outside away from flammable materials.

Don't use Christmas trees for firewood.

Electrical Outlets

There is often a tendency to overload wall outlets during the holiday season. This is an unsafe practice and should be avoided even for short durations.

Inspect all cords before using. Make sure they are CSA certified. Look for loose connections or frayed or exposed wire. Discard any defective cords. Read the labels and manufacturer's instructions to ensure proper use.

Insert plugs fully into outlets. Poor contact may cause overheating or shock.

To avoid possible overheating, do not coil or bunch an extension cord which is in use and do not run it under carpets or rugs.

The Kitchen

Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires in Canada, so be extra careful when doing this kind of cooking. Here's what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:

Smother the flames by covering the pan with a lid.

Turn off the heat immediately.

Use baking soda (flour can be explosive) on shallow grease fires.

Never turn on the overhead fan, as this could spread the fire.

Never throw water on a grease fire.

Gift Suggestions

Home smoke alarm

Carbon monoxide detector

Multi-purpose (ABC) fire extinguisher

Candle snuffer

Thermostatically controlled deep fryer

The Canada Safety Council is an independent, not-for-profit, non-government, knowledge-based, charitable organization dedicated to the cause of safety. We provide national leadership in safety through information, education and collaboration.

Organizations: Digby Fire Department

Geographic location: Queen Street

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page