Finding my feet - A day in the life of an intern

Published on March 28, 2013
Sarah Puxley
Sarah Puxley photo

You should write a column, I was told.

Dread. Horrible butterflies. Angst. The fleeting feeling to turn and run.

“Sure!” I said, with a big smile on my face.

You see, I hate writing about myself. It feels stilted and uncomfortable. But as a journalism student, part of my job is throwing myself into situations where I feel like a fish out of water. Cue today.

My name is Sarah Puxley. I’m a j-school student at Holland College and former resident of Digby, having lived here for two years before.

I’ve been temporarily transplanted from Charlottetown, P.E.I. for my internship at the Digby Courier, leaving behind a husband and two very forlorn cats.

It's strange being back in Digby. I look at everything differently now that I’m a reporter. Sirens and alerts take on new meaning. I find myself scouring bulletin boards and newspaper event listings that I may have ignored in previous years.

But there is something that hasn't changed in the time I've been gone – the people. Digby still boasts some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Everyone has been gracious and accommodating and I can't say enough about this region. I only hope to do you all justice in my work.

Now like any intern, I’ve made silly mistakes. My first day was the same day the boom truck fell in the water out on the wharf. Excitement! I'd never heard of anything like it before.

I ran out immediately with my trusty camera, determined to take as many photos as I could.

(You can see some of these in my slideshow on the Courier website.)

Alas, the huge grin I wore back to the office after getting over 100 photos evaporated as soon as I jiggled the doorknob.


I could peer in the window and see the keys I’d forgotten hanging out of my purse. After cursing at myself for a moment, I pulled out my cellphone and started calling co-workers.

It’s a good thing there was still someone in the office to answer my call. Even moreso that he was willing to let me back in. I’m lucky I have such a forgiving editor. He only laughed at me a little.

I'm nearing the end of my first week now, with three more to tackle after this. I'm less nervous than I was when I began and I like to think I'm making fewer mistakes along the way.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of my time here at the Courier and hopefully I won't lock myself out of the office again anytime soon.

In addition to reading my work on The Digby Courier (, you can follow me on Facebook (, Twitter (@SarahPuxley) or Google+ (Sarah Puxley). Those interested can also read my work on my blog (