Man’s death no longer suspicious

Published on September 18, 2009

The death of Melvin Barton, whose body was found in a Digby apartment building yesterday, is no longer being treated by police as suspicious.

Police spokesperson Sgt. Brigdit Leger in Halifax, said an autopsy is being performed today and while that could alter the investigation, she said there was no indication the man's death was suspicious.

She said there was no evidence to support rumours that he had been beaten.

Police entered the apartment at 19 Carleton Street yesterday after receiving a 911 call about 1:30 p.m. Members of the Southwest Nova major crime section were called in to investigate.