DIGBY, N.S. – A house fire on Shore Road in Bayview, in Digby County, resulted in the loss of two cats and the worldly goods of two young people who were renting the residence from its British Columbia-based owner.
Digby Fire Chief Robert Morgan said the home was fully engulfed in flames upon their arrival shortly after 4 p.m. Wednesday.
“It was a total loss,” Morgan said, adding that four stations responded to the initial call – with additional units from Smith’s Cove, Bear River and Brighton/Barton, but there was nothing they could do.
Morgan said he’s pretty confident the fire started around the wood stove and the cause is not being further investigated. Morgan also said that they responded two more times for possible flare-ups – one just before 8 p.m. where there was an actual flare-up and another call out at almost 11:30 p.m. after a neighbor had reported seeing smoke.
A friend of the pair who lost everything has set up a Go Fund Me page. “Cassidy and Katie will be completely rebuilding their lives in the next upcoming months and every donation, big or small is greatly appreciated and will help them throughout this very difficult time,” the page states. For more details on the fundraiser, please visit: https://www.gofundme.com/lost-everything-2-two-cats-in-fire.