Today, July 6, the Town of New Glasgow will be renaming a street in honour of the late Viola Desmond.
If she were alive today, it would be Desmond’s 104th Birthday.
To mark the occasion Google has done a doodle in her honour on the Google.ca site.
Desmond is recognized as a civil rights leader for taking a stand and refusing to give up her seat in a white only section of New Glasgow’s Roseland Theatre.
New Glasgow’s renaming event will take place at noon at the corner of Provost Street and Forbes Street. Her sister Wanda Robson is expected to attend the event.
Read more about Desmond
- Another honour for Viola Desmond: 'She would be humbled and overjoyed'
- Viola Desmond takes her place as civil rights icon as new $10 bill unveiled
- MacGillivray Law announces art contest in honour of Viola Desmond
- New Glasgow woman remembers Viola Desmond for work ethic and encouragement
- Viola Desmond’s calm courage in the fight for social justice