Rima Kenaan serves up food and culture at “Flavours of Syria” in Digby
DIGBY, NS – For those who didn't know, Syrian food is fresh, fragrant and fabulous.
Rima Kenaan prepares ingredients for the cooking demonstration.
DIGBY, NS – Rima Kenaan led 50 people in a cooking demonstration of Syrian foods on May 2 at the Conway Workshop’s Community Kitchen.
In case you’re curious, here are the ingredients and recipes for three dishes from that night.
· 1⁄2 bunch fresh Parsley
· 1 Tomato
· 1⁄2 English Cucumber
· Handful of fresh Mint
· 2 Tbsp Bulgur (cooked in broth and lemon juice)
· 2 green onions
· 1⁄2 Lemon juiced
1. Precook your Bulgur in broth and lemon juice.
2. Chop the parsley very fine.
3. Chop green onions.
4. Chop the tomato in a fine dice
5. Chop the English cucumber into a small dice.
6. Add a handful of fresh mint chopped or 1/3 handful of dried mint re-hydrated in lemon juice.
7. Combine all ingredients and toss with lemon juice. Add more lemon and salt & pepper to taste.
· 1 Eggplant
· 1/2 Lemon juiced
· 1 cloves Fresh garlic
· 3 Tbsp Tahini (+/- to get the desired consistency)
· 3 Tbsp Plain yogurt (+/- to get the desired consistency)
· 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
· Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Roast eggplant on BBQ or burner of stove. Turn eggplant to ensure an even roast.
2. Once cooled, peel the skin from the eggplant and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
3. Mince clove of fresh garlic and add lemon juice
4. Add Tahini and Plain yogurt. Add more or less tahini and/or yogurt to achieve desired texture.
5. Add 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Salt & Pepper to taste.
· 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
· Handful fresh Parsley
· 2 cloves Garlic Crushed (or to-taste)
· 1⁄2 tomato (grated)
· 1⁄2 onion (grated)
· Salt & Pepper to taste
· Various Herbs & Spices
1. Add ground beef to a large bowl.
2. Add a handful of fresh Parsley chopped finely. Mince 2 cloves Garlic and add to ground beef mixture.
3. Add 1⁄2 tomato (grated)
4. Add 1⁄2 onion (grated)
5. Salt & Pepper to taste
6. Various Herbs & Spices (signup to our newsletter for the details)
7. Combine the mixture well.
8. Slice several onions 1⁄4” thick and place on a baking sheet.
9. Form cylinders of meat around a skewer and remove the skewer.
10. Place each kebab onto the onions on the baking sheet
11. Grill in the oven until browned and completely cooked.
Combine a small handful of finely chopped parsley with grenadine (reduce pomegranate juice) and serve over the kebabs.