Three local fire departments responded to a trash fire at the municipal transfer station on the Upper Cross Road on New Year’s Day.
No one was harmed in the fire and the building sustained no damage either however a lot of garbage was dragged, pushed, smashed, sprayed with hoses and generally beat around.
Rodney Fredricks, an employee with Digby Salvage and Disposal just happened to be driving by just after 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 1 when he saw smoke coming from the building vents.
He called the station manager Greg Thomas who arrived a few minutes later, opened the gates and looked in through the person hatch.
“All I saw was smoke,” says Thomas. “I called 911 right away and the fire department was right here.”
Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the building and found smoke coming from beneath garbage piled against the south wall.
They doused it with water and vented the building so an excavator could enter and begin pulling out the garbage.
Thomas believes the garbage heated up and caught fire spontaneously. He last checked the facility on Monday, the day before.