Firefighters extinguished a house fire in Barton before it spread much beyond the basement.
No one had been living in the house at 7922 Highway 1 in Barton.
Neighbours of the house called 911 just before 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, April 25 and reported smoke.
Brighton Barton responded and requested mutual aid from Digby and Plympton.
Smoke was pouring out of the chimney, dryer duct and from around doors and windows when firefighters arrived. The basement in particular was full of black smoke.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in the basement and vent the rest of the building to remove the smoke.
Highway 1 was reduced to one lane for about an hour and a half. Department of Transportation personnel were on hand to direct traffic, Nova Scotia Power cut electricity to the building, and the RCMP were also on scene.
Brighton Barton chief Cliff Surette says an electrical fire was the source of the fire.
They left the scene near 5 p.m.