Introduce your family to this classic Louisiana favourite. Bursting with Cajun flavours and full of protein, this chicken and sausage gumbo is easy to make and sure to please the family.
1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
1 pkg (500 g) New PC Andouille Sausage
3 cups (750 mL) diced sweet red pepper
2 cups (500 mL) diced onions
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) diced celery
3 tbsp (45 mL) minced garlic
2 tbsp (25 mL) Creole seasoning
1 can (796 mL) diced Tomatoes
3 cups (750 mL) chicken Broth
1 pouch (283 g) whole Grain Brown Rice
½ cup (125 mL) chopped Italian parsley
• Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
• Sprinkle chicken with pepper and ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the salt. In large ovenproof frying pan, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sausage to pan; cook for 8 minutes, turning once, or until browned. Transfer pan to centre of oven; bake for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Set aside to cool.
• In large saucepan, heat remaining 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil over medium-high heat; cook pepper, onion and celery for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and Creole seasoning; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender and slightly coloured. Stir in tomatoes and juices and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Remove chicken and sausage from frying pan; stir drippings from frying pan into vegetable mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, quarter chicken thighs and slice sausages ½-inch (1 cm) thick; set aside. Place rice pouch on a paper towel, seam side up. Pouch is self-venting; do not puncture, tear or cut. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
• Stir chicken, sausage, rice and remaining ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt into vegetable mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 65 minutes
Makes 10 servings
Per serving: 300 calories, fat 16 g, sodium 1010 mg, carbohydrate 21 g, fibre 4 g, protein 19 g