Organizers of the 7th annual Bear River Winter Carnival from Feb. 14-16 have released the schedule of events.
© File photo
Speeding along on kicksleds at the riverfront park
UPDATED: Tuesday, Feb. 5 with latest schedule additions
Friday, Feb. 14
• Any time until 3 p.m. Saturday. Build a snow sculpture and enter the big prize contest.
Anyone can enter and build along the waterfront or at your home (for Bear River residents).
Enter at Cherry Brook Grocery Store, Main Street. All welcome to enter.
• 4 p.m. till end of winter, rink opens. Free skating behind Bear River Legion.
• 5 p.m. until the end of the Carnival, Crazy Carpet Castle opens. Free sledding on crazy carpets or snowsuits only. Crazy carpets provided. Behind Legion. Contact Bonnie MacLeod Bonnie.firstname.lastname@example.org 467-0390
• 5-5:30 p.m. Lighting of Ice Candles and Ice Candle contest. Free. Behind the Legion. All entries welcome. Enter to win and help by putting your ice candles around the rink or town. Prize presentation at 5:30 p.m.
Contact Sue Comeau at 467-3258 email@example.com
• 6– 8 p.m. Fables and Fairy Tales show opening. A multi-media group art show at Oakdene Centre. Show continues Feb. 15-16 (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Free. Contact Ken Flett firstname.lastname@example.org
• 7-9 p.m. Myrtle & Rosies Dinner and live music. Reservations: 467-0176. Filet mignon, Caeser salad, chocolate raspberry trifle. Downtown Main St.
• 8 p.m. Valentines Evening Concert at the Rebekah with ‘Acres & Acres’. Licensed event. Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at the door. Tickets at Magoos, Bear River Bargains and Books, Sissiboo Coffee at the Annapolis Winter Saturday Market.
Saturday, Feb. 15
• All Day until 7 p.m. Free ice cream sundaes. @ Myrtle & Rosie's, for all children who participate in winter carnival activities.
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Childrens’ snow sculpting by rink along waterfront. Create a snow creature and get a prize! Contact: email@example.com 467-0390
• 9 – 11 a.m. Club 400 Winter Active team. Free. Waterfront Park by rink. Kick sledding, Nordic walking, and snowshoeing. Contact Brian Orde firstname.lastname@example.org
• 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Free hot drinks and warm up spot. @ Changing Tides Diner. A Paws for Life fundraiser. Sponsored by NSCC CCA course.
• 10 – 11 a.m. cross-country ski clinic. Skis, poles and boots provided. Free. Behind the rink. Contact Sue Comeau 467-3258 email@example.com
• 10:30 – 12 p.m. Taoist Tai Chi Demonstration/Participation. Free. Upstairs @ the Rebekah. Contact: George Chisolm 467-3096
• 12 – 4 p.m. Hearts and Flowers show of watercolour paintings from Flora Doehler at Rebekah Hall. Hot Sissiboo coffee and cookies. Contact Flora 467-0553
• 12 p.m. -4 p.m. Oakdene Studio Tours A group art exhibition showcasing our studio artists. Enjoy works in oil, acrylic, fabric, watercolour, pencil, wood, digital media and more. @ Oakdene, free.
- Read more special articles:
- Bear River Winter Carnival really shines at night
- Bear River winter fun
- Bear River Carnival sculptures ready for fireworks at 7:30 p.m.
- Some Brrr River Winter Carnival snow sculptures judged early
• 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. Skafte & Shishkov Painting with poetry. Live, one of a kind painting – poems. Hot Sissaboo coffee & cookies. @ The Rebekah Gallery in Bear River (1890 Clementsvale Road) Free.
• 12 – 4 p.m. Cross-country ski trip for beginners. Free. Meet at fire hall at 12 p.m. Contact Robbie Bays 467-3151 or Sue Comeau 467-3258 firstname.lastname@example.org
• 1– 3p.m. Maple syrup snow sucker stand. Free. (Other maple products available.) Contact Peter and Anna Burrell 467-3340.
• 7 p.m. Hot chocolate and cookies supplied by Bear River Legion auxiliary.
• 7:30 p.m. Fireworks along the waterfront. (Rain date: Sunday at 7:30 p.m.) Contact: Glen Rice 467-3023 or Sue Comeau 467-3258
• 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Winter Carnival dance with ‘One Night Only’ at Bear River Legion. $10 at door. Contact Sue Long 467-3705 or 467-3881. All welcome!
Sunday, Feb. 16
• 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Gentle cross-country ski over 7 Lakes. Trip 10.75 miles (17.3 km). Bring own lunch and water. Meet at fire hall at 8 a.m. Contact Sue Comeau 467-3258 email@example.com
• 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ATV/Snowmobile Follow Me Run. Meet at the Power House in Bear River. Contact Cindy Bowers 467-3154
• 9:30 a.m. -10:45 a.m. Open format Sunday School for all ages at Advent Christian Church, 1421 Landsdowne Rd. Songs, games, crafts, & refreshments. All welcome. Contact: Sarin, 467-3931
• 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. “Fables & Fairy Tales” A multi media group art show at The Oakdene Centre in Bear River. Free. Contact: Ken Flett firstname.lastname@example.org
• 10 a.m. - 11 a.m. 5 Km Walk or Run @ Oakdene Centre. Registration at 10 a.m. Start time 11 a.m. $5 entry fee. Contact: Heather Charlton 467-3269
• 12 p.m.– 4 p.m. “Hearts and Flowers”. A show of watercolour paintings from Flora Doehler @ Rebekah. Hot Sissiboo coffee and cookies. Contact Flora 467-0553
• 12 p.m.– 4 p.m. Oakdene Studio Tours A group art exhibition showcasing our studio artists. Enjoy works in oil, acrylic, fabric, watercolour, pencil, wood, digital media and more. @ Oakdene, 1913 Clementsvale Rd. free.
• 12 p.m.– 4 p.m. Skafte & Shishkov Painting with poetry. Live, one of a kind painting – poems. Hot Sissaboo coffee & cookies. @ The Rebekah Gallery in Bear River (1890 Clementsvale Road) Free.
• 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Maple Syrup Snow Sucker Stand. Free. (Other Maple products available.) Along The Bear River Waterfront. Contact Peter and Anna Burrell 467-3340.
• 3:30–4:30 p.m. Awards ceremony with awards for snow and ice sculptures. At the Waterfront Park. Contact Sue Comeau 467-3258 email@example.com or Kerry Simmons 467-3300
More info at www.bearriver.ca