The Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 20 in Digby celebrated their 85th anniversary on Saturday night, July 7 with a dinner, a dance and a cake.
The Ladies Auxiliary of Branch 20 also celebrated 66 years.
Digby Branch 20 Canadian Legion, British Empire Service League was given its charter on July 13, 1927. The Ladies Auxiliary received its charter on Sept. 20, 1946.
The founding members were:
Guy Victor Turnbull, Geo. Woodford Connell, Hugh Vincent, Leigh Archibald Peck, Benjamin Henry Ruggles, Rufus R.W. Connor, Major Maynard C. Denton, Archibald Lawrence Amero, Eugene Henry Muise, Frank W. Robinson, Egbert M. Robertson D.C. M., George Arthur Muise, William Albert Sulis, George Alfred Winfield, and Alfred Gordon Cowan.
The Branch was first situated in the old Digby town hall, and in the 1960’s it was on the Shore Road near the site of the present tourist bureau. This present building was constructed in the early 1970’s.
Branch 20 sponsors the 26th Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps and supports the Valley Senior Games.
The Digby -Annapolis Christmas Daddies has held their annual fundraiser at the Legion for over 30 years. The members enjoy in-house pool and darts , the Ladies Auxiliary hosts a Seniors Bingo every Tuesday night and caters to functions.
Founding members of the Ladies Auxiliary were:
Edith H. Cookson, Laura M. Deming, Beatrice L. Sibley, Louise K. Abbot, June E. Mount, Mary R. Jefferson, Mildred B. Trask, Harriet G. Campbell, Anne M. Wilson, Rae E. Powell, Jennie M. Bent, Dorothy M. Miller and Mrs. Robert Russell.